Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Take me out to the... ESPN app

Image result for espn app

Social media is changing the game, literally. Over the past few years how I view sports has changed based on my phone apps. The obvious was the downloading the ESPN app, I could save my favorite teams and be alerted about stats, start of games, and score updates if I can’t watch live. It made it easier to be a loyal fan when I was on the go or away from my T.V. Next was the integration of social media, and it’s not just friends posting about games. Teams all have their own Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram pages to keep their fans up to date. Additionally, Twitter now has the right to live streaming Thursday night football. With constant score updates and now online live streaming ability, sports fans are not nearly as reliant on live television as they once were.


I realized how much the way I view sports changed during the World Series (Go Cubbies). Mid-Game 7 I had to leave for a class group meeting, so I switched over to my ESPN app to keep up with scores. As the game tied back up I moved over to twitter for more in-detailed, real time updates. Through google I watched a real time pitch count, and when I couldn’t stand it any longer I turned on a live stream. Social media still came into play after the bottom of the 10th, I opened Facebook to watch a live feed of the crowd outside Wrigley Field. I saw personal videos of generations of fans celebrating the win, and in days to come even caught glimpses of the Cubs homecoming parade. With this added convenience of being able to keep you favorite teams right in your pocket, I wonder the threat this causes for Television. One of T.V’s remaining draws is the viewing of live events, but if this is moving online and to mobile I am finding less need for my remote control. 

6 comments:

  1. You make a really good point - ESPN will have to figure out a way to satisfy their mobile users while also keeping their TV channel in business. It is true that most loyal sports fans will probably continue to watch live games on television. However, Twitter is making strides in the right direction by having live streaming games on their website. This was a great article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Article! I find myself doing the exact same thing you do. I spend less time watching on a usual TV screen and more time streaming and following along with Twitter. It will be interesting moving forward if ESPN and other traditional sports channel change their current direction to get the traditional TV audience to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. The ESPN app is amazing and it even has SEC Network on there. My best friend plays soccer here and I could watch all of her games on the app. The app ESPN Watch has all of the live games but Twitter is definitely a huge competitor for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Social media is definitely changing the way we view sports (and TV in general). I don't have cable this year and I thought I would be out of the loop, but thanks to apps like ESPN and Twitter, I can be updated fully on everything. While it's convenient, I kind of miss how it use to be. There is something about having a huge cookout with friends and family with the game on a big screen that is irreplaceable. But in situations where you can't do that, then I think the direction social media has gone can be a good thing. As you said though, there is / will continue to be huge competition in this market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great article! And I think it's applicable to different TV channels. With all my school work I usually don't have time to watch the Saints play on Sundays, so the live score updates and streaming capabilities make it much easier for me to be in the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post! I also have the ESPN app. I love that is keeps me up to date on all of my favorite teams. One of my favorite updates is the news section. It's cool to be the first to know breaking news on my favorite teams. Your experience watching game 7 sounds crazy, but soo many people do it. It's not out of the ordinary to use multiple platforms just to stay up to date. I think this really does put television at a disadvantage. But there's nothing like watchin your favorite team on tv without having to refresh your page.

    ReplyDelete