Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Social Media Scare.

image1.png


As Halloween quickly approaches I wasn’t thinking too much about getting into the spooky spirit. As a UGA student my Halloween celebration mostly consists of a trip down to Jacksonville for the Georgia v Florida game. Due to several New York blizzards, I honestly hadn’t dressed up or celebrated Halloween in easily 5 years. So it’s safe to say this Holiday wasn’t top of mind, but this year I suddenly find myself taking part in many Halloween activities. The urge to dress up, carve pumpkins, and visit haunted houses has returned and I can’t help but question why.

As any Millennial does, I spend a fair amount of time on Social Media. I’ve definitely noticed a push, much larger this year than in the past, of Halloween centered posts across several platforms. On my Facebook I’ve seen several “Tasty” food videos with pumpkin flare, persuading me to roast pumpkin seeds. Snapchat has started to include scary Halloween filters and featured stories increasing the urge to get into the spirit. My Instagram explorer page is filled with videos of make-up artists creating scarred and bloody looks, inspiring me to purchase liquid latex to create the most extreme Joker look on my friend.  

Now here I am with full costumes planned for local Halloween events occurring around Athens. I spent 3 hours of my past weekend in line at Netherworld haunted house, and have pumpkin seeds pouring out the window of my apartment. Where did this urge come from, was it from years of deprivation or did snapchat make me do it? 

2 comments:

  1. I definitely believe that social media has an impact on our actions in daily life! Whether that be buying the products celebrities push or simply seeing our friends doing things that we think we should also be doing, what we consume impacts what we do! So, i definitely think the Halloween push may have had an impact in your holiday spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Social media can for sure motivate you and effect how you behave. When things are constantly advertised to us we start to believe they make up the norm. Therefore, if we don't participate, then we are "left out". While most of the examples you are referring to are really fun and I enjoy doing, you can't help but wonder what we associate that with the holidays.

    ReplyDelete